Mobi Groups
Download Free Apps & Games @ PHONEKY.com

CHRISTIANSTYLE - Topics
Create Your Own App Store

* CHRISTIANSTYLE > Topics

Subject: *Hebrew Names_of_God*
Replies: 20 Views: 3330

gbopp 28.06.08 - 01:32pm
Elohim and Elohei constructs given in Tanakh. Elohim- Creator and Judge.
Introduction.
The word Elohim
is the plural of
El... (or possibly of Eloah.) and is the first given name of God in the Tanakh;
''In the beginning, God (Elohim) created the heavens and the earth.'' Gen.1:1. The name Elohim
is unique to Hebraic thinking;
It occurs only in Hebrew and in no other Semitic language. The masculine plural ending does not mean 'gods' when referring to the True God of Israel. Since the name is uniquely used with singular verb forms and with adjectives and pro nouns in the singular (e.g. see Genesis1:26). However, considering the ''Hashalush HaKadosh'' (trinity), the form indeed allows for the plurality within the Godhead. *

gbopp 28.06.08 - 02:28pm
In the traditional Jewish view Elohim is the name of God as the creator and judge of the universe.
(see Gen.1-2:4a).

''The Holy One, Blessed be He, said to those, You want to know My name? I am called according to my actions. When I judge the creatures I am Elohim, and when I have mercy with My world, I Am named YHVA''
Exodus3:14 KJV
And God said to Moses, ''I AM THAT I AM.'' And He said, ''Thus, you shall say to the children of Israel, I AM has sent me to you.''
In the second creation story (Gen.2:4b-ff) the Name of God is revealed as the Sacred Name YHVH (from the semitic root that means (''to be'') and expresses the idea of God's closeness to humans.
YHVA ''breathed into his (Adam's) nostrils the breath of life.'' Genesis2:7. *

gbopp 28.06.08 - 03:19pm
Elohim is combined with other words to provide additional description about God. These other names or titles for God are sometimes called ''construct forms,'' indicating they are constructed from the base name
(e.g. Elohei) with other designators. *

gbopp 28.06.08 - 11:27pm
ELOHIM
[the basic form]
GOD; The plural form of EL meaning ''Strong One.'' The Name Elohim occurs 2,750 times in the Tanakh (see Is.54:5; Jer.32:27; Gen.1:1; Is.45:18; Deut.5:23)
GOD OF- Elohei
God of :- ''construct form'' that never appears without a qualifying descriptor.
*Son of God.
Ben Elohim. (Matthew 16:16; 26:23; John6:69)
MY GOD-Elohai. Elohim- with personal pro noun suffix indicating 1st person singular.
*God of Abraham.
Elohei Avraham.
*God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.
Elohei Avraham,
Elohei Yitschak,
Velohei Ya'akov.

*God of my kindness.
Elohei Chasdi,
from cHESED, (Ps.59:17)
the Covenantal faithfulness [of God] (Ps.89:29; 144:2). *

gbopp 29.06.08 - 06:22am
*God of gods
Elohei Haelohim (Deut.10:17; Josh22:22; Ps.136:2) *God of my strength.
Elohei Ma'uzzi (2Sam.22:33; Ps.31:5; 43:2).
*God who is near.
Elohei Mikkarov. (Jer.23:23).
This title for God acknowledges His inmanence within all.
*God who is far.
Elohei Merachok. (also Jer-23:23).
This title for God acknowledges His transcendence above all.
*God of heights.
Elohei Marom. (Micah6:6)
*God of Justice.
Elohei Mishpat. (Is.30:18).
*God of Hosts.
Elohei Tseva'ot.
God of Hosts or armies. (2Sam.5:10) *God of rock. Elohei Tzur. (2Sam.22:47)
Rock is poetically used to indicate the strength of God as the ground of all the universe. *

gbopp 29.06.08 - 07:04am
*The Eternal God Elohei Kedem.
God of the beginning; Eternal God. (Deut.33:27).
*God of my Praise.
Elohei Tehillati (Ps.109:1).
From Tehillah, Praise, Hymn, or Psalm.
Tehillim is the Book of Psalms in Hebrew.
*Our God.
Eloheynu (Ex.3:18).
pro nominal from that is common in many Hebrew blessings and prayers.
*God of our fathers.
Elohei Avotenu. (Deut.26:7; 1Chron.12:17).
*God our Father. Elohim Avinu.
*God in Heaven.
Elohim Bashamayim. (2Chron.20:6).
*God of Truth.
Elohim Emet.
Jer.10:10).

gbopp 29.06.08 - 02:27pm
*God of Nahor. Elohei Nachor. Abraham's brother (Gen.31:53.)
*God the Father.
Elohei HaVa. (John6:27; 1Peter1:2)
*The Living God.
Elohei Chayin. (Deut.5:26; Joshua3:10)
*God of the Living.
Elohei HaChayim. (Mark12:27).
*God of the spirits of all flesh.
Elohei haruchot l'cholbasas (Num.16:22; 27:16). *

gbopp 7.07.08 - 11:24am
Scripture references that refer to God as Elohim.
Psalm91:2-4.
I will say to the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him I will trust.
*Surely He shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence. He shall cover thee with His feathers, and under His wings shalt thou trust;
His truth shall be thy shield and buckler.

Psalm57:1-3.
Be merciful unto me O God, be merciful unto me; My soul trusteth
in thee;
Yea, in the shadow of thy wings will I make my refuge,
Until these calamities be overpast.
*I will cry unto God most High; unto God that performeth all things for me.
*He shall send from heaven, and save me from the reproach of him that would swa11ow me up. Selah.
God shall send forth His Mercy and His Truth. *

gbopp 7.07.08 - 12:03pm
JEHOVAH.
Derived from the Hebrew word CHAVAH,
which means
''TO LIVE,''
the name Jehovah is literally full of Life. It is written into the King James Version as Lord, and it means
''to be'' or ''being.''
Now that you have seen God as the all-powerful, mighty Elohim, who desires a covenant with those whom He created, you will love meeting Him as Jehovah- the revealing one! This name of God brings Him forth in a very personal way, and is the very essence of the present tense. When Adam and Eve talked to God in the garden of Eden, they did not call Him Jehovah; instead they called Him Elohim, because they did not have a personal, intimate walk with the Lord *

gbopp 8.07.08 - 11:22pm
JEHOVAH reveals Himself as our intimate, personal God. He walks with us, always in the present tense, and He will never leave us nor forsake us. The more we grow in our relationship with Him, the more of Himself He will reveal. JEHOVAH also denotes the unchangeability
of God;
James1:17.
Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow or turning.
Psalm102:27.
But You are the same and Your years have no end. *

gbopp 9.07.08 - 01:41am
EL SHADDAI.
In studying the name Elohim, we learn that EL displays God's qualities of power and might.
El Shaddai is also a compound name that first appears in Genesis17;
*When Abram was ninety nine years old, the Lord appeared to Abram and said to him, ''I am Almighty God; walk before me and be blameless.
*''And I will make My covenant between Me and you, and will multiply you exceedingly.''

Does ''God Almighty'' mean the same as ''the God of might and power?'' No, it does not. The name El Shaddai bears a different meaning entirely. Basically, this name is derived from the word ''field,'' as the fields produce abundance. In this sense, God is shown as the One Who is more than enough-He who is all sufficient! *

gbopp 9.07.08 - 02:03am
Throughout Abraham's life, God promised to bless and multiply him. And the Bible says that Abraham's blessings are
also ours. As
EL SHADDAI, God came to Abraham in the context of total impossibility. He came saying.
''I'll give you seed as the dust of the earth.''
When Abraham was 99 years old. And if that's not ''impossible'' enough, Abraham's wife was 89 years old. God shows His all-sufficiency by turning nature around a providing a miracle that is contrary to natural events. Although God Himself set the course of nature in motion, He is more than capable of superceding all natural events. That's what happened when He caused Abraham and Sarah to have a child. Abraham's son was named Isaac, and Isaac also knew God as EL SHADDAI. When Isaac's own son Jacob left good to find a wife, Isaac spoke to him; *

gbopp 9.07.08 - 02:11am
*When Isaac called Jacob and blessed him, and charged him, and said to him; ''You shall not take a wife from the daughters of Canaan.
*''Arise, go to Padan Aram to the house of Bethuel your mother's father; and take yourself a wife from there of the daughters of Laban your mother's brother.
*May God Almighty bless you, And make you fruitful and multiply you, That you may be an assembly of peoples; Genesis28:1-3.

Isaac was saying, ''Jacob, may
EL SHADDAI, the God who is all sufficient, bless you and multiply you. *

gbopp 9.07.08 - 08:13am
ADONAI.
The names ELOHIM, JEHOVAH, and EL SHADDAI have all related to the person of God. ELOHIM has expressed the mighty and power of God;
JEHOVAH has expressed the Holiness and Righteousness of God as our Redeemer; and He has also shown Himself as a wonderful God of blessings and all-sufficiency as
EL SHADDAI. ADONAI is a somewhat different name for God in that it reflects our responsibility as His servants.
The Lord wants to say something special to us through this name.
Knowing Him as ADONAI will help to make a deeper committment to Him. ADONAI is used over 300 times in the Old Testament alone; and literally means, ''Master, Owner, or Lord.'' This is a name that signifies ownership and our own responsibilites that come from being of God. *

gbopp 9.07.08 - 08:41am
There is an interesting facet of ADONAI that is found in another of God's names- ELOHIM. ADONAI can be translated as being both plural and possessive, so it confirms the fact of the GODHEAD; Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
It is exciting to see God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit involved in this wonderful name. And their involvement is confirmed in the Scriptures.
Psalm110:1.
The Lord said to My Lord, ''Sit at My right hand, Till I make Your enemies My footstool.
(There is hundreds of Scripture that could be used to show the different names of God, but I'd be here forever if I did, so i only use the Scripture that comes with the study.) *

seastarr 12.07.08 - 12:27am
reading.GIF Thank you for this very interesting topic. God bless you pray.GIF *

solaray 12.07.08 - 04:16am
Yes its taught me a lot. Thank you brother for this topic! *

gbopp 25.07.08 - 04:44am
ADONAI is the God who totally owns His people. He protects them, provides for them, and directs them. ADONAI is the Master whose servants have chosen to serve Him because they love Him. This is a beautiful illustration of the Father-Son relationship that takes place between God and Jesus. Christ came to earth-By the Father's will-to redeem us. He never sinned, because He was carrying out the responsibility that His Father gave Him. The Bible shows us when Christ's time of physical death approached, He entered a garden called Gethsemane
to pray.
The account is in
Luke22:42-44. *

gbopp 25.07.08 - 04:53am
''saying, Father, if it is Your will, take this cup away from Me; nevertheless not My will, but Yours be done.''
Then an angel appeared to Him from Heaven strengthening Him.
44. And being in agony, He prayed more earnestly. Then His sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground.
The garden of Gethsemane became a struggle that day.
*I believe* the Father was saying, ''Son you don't have to drink this cup. But it is for your bride
ISRAEL and Your many children,
THE CHURCH.''
Until the two olive trees are grafted into One Tree, the Church of Jesus Christ is The Spiritual Israel. *

gbopp 25.07.08 - 05:34am
Luke22:42-44. continued...
ADONAI
By saying, ''Not My will, but yours be done,'' Jesus was saying, ''I am more than His servant; I am a bondslave to My Father's will. I came here to complete My Father's will, so I am willing to be pierced.''
ADONAI
-Master, and Lord of Lords, displayed through the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit. Christ's hands and feet were nailed onto the cross. His flesh was cruely beaten, and His side was pierced with a sword. Why? Because Christ became a bondslave to the Father. Jesus said, ''No matter what cost, I will perform YOUR will, not MINE...''
Jesus Christ gave Himself as a slave. *

gbopp 25.07.08 - 05:57am
Paul wrote in Philippians2:5-8
Let this mind of Christ be in you which was also in Christ Jesus.
*who being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God.
*but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant,
and, coming in the likeness of men.
*And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to
the point of * death, even the death on the cross. *

This topic is locked.
* CHRISTIANSTYLE Forum

Search:
topics replies

* CHRISTIANSTYLE

topTop
groupsGroups
mainProdigits